Los Angeles has over 20,000 youth in the foster care system. These youth will emancipate out of the state's care between age 18 and 22. Many will go on to live without a stable home, supportive community and employment opportunities. FHLA is proud to embrace these individuals who are often forgotten and dismissed by society. We are working to break the cycle for the benefit of our city and the next generation.
Fostering Hope LA's strategy is to provide job readiness training and Christian mentorship for youth aging out of foster care in Los Angeles. We want to see these young adults thriving in healthy relationships, successful occupations and community leadership.
Find out more about our Jobs for Life course.
Learn about becoming a volunteer mentor.
Fostering Hope LA began out of a passion to help youth in foster care and a belief in the quality of the Jobs for Life program. Debbie Stromwall, FHLA founder, left a 30 year career in the mortgage industry to follow her heart and passion for "at-risk" youth. After getting connected with the local Department of Children and Family Services, she learned about the gap in services for young adults emancipating from the system. After mentoring a student through a Jobs for Life course in 2014, Debbie became certified as a Jobs for Life course operator for the South Bay area of Los Angeles.
Meet Our Team
Debbie is our beloved founder and leader. She relies on the power of prayer and the nutrition of Chinese chicken salad. She lives life out loud with a lot of love and a little pizzazz. Debbie has been married to Joel for six and a half years. They share six children, three beautiful granddaughters, and one grandson.
Interested in joining the team? Contact us.
To empower youth transitioning out of foster care, to become confident, productive and successful adults and to understand God’s love for them by:
1) Connecting them with a Christian mentor for a healthy and authentic relationship;
2) Teaching them job readiness skills through the Jobs for Life program;
3) Assisting them with job placement and/or education/vocational training enrollment.
Fostering Hope LA’s vision is to see an increasing number of emancipating foster youth transitioning out of foster care develop a direction, focus, and hope for their future; to help them succeed through healthy relationships, continue their education; gain successful employment; and most importantly introduce them to God’s love.
Our Core Values are what support our vision and shape our culture and decisions. They are the essence of our ministry’s identity – our principles, beliefs, and values. Our Core Values will assist us in our decision-making processes, as we measure proposed ideas and actions against these defined values. Our Core Values will also educate mentors, foster youth, business owners, social workers, volunteers, and the general public about our priorities, commitments, and identity as a ministry.
- CHRIST CENTERED - FHLA is a ministry birthed and led by Christ. We are dedicated to allowing Him to lead, bless, heal, and be glorified as we pray about everything.
- COMMITMENT - We are here for the long run in serving every person engaged in the ministry of FHLA.
- COMMUNITY - We need one another and believe every person brings value. We are proactive in connecting people to community where life giving relationships are established. We are committed to encouraging and empowering every person in our growing community.
- INTEGRITY - Integrity is core to Godly character success. We believe we are ultimately accountable to the Lord, so we do all things with the highest level of honesty.
- HOPE - We never lose hope as our faith is directed to our Father in Heaven who is always good, faithful, and abounding in love.