By Brandy Wallner
Many people have a heart for foster youth and want to help. But the truth is that the demands of a busy life can often be a hindrance to becoming a committed mentor. The good news is, that mentoring isn't the only way to help! Here are 5 ways you can still help our young adults - BIG TIME!
1) Talk about us! The life-blood of any non-profit is word of mouth. For FHLA that is no different. You can help us tremendously just by talking about us and getting the word out via social media! It's as easy as clicking "follow" & "share" on Facebook! Just follow the @fosteringhopela page, then start liking & sharing our posts. It's super simple!
If you're on Instagram, follow us @fosteringhopelosangeles.
2) Attend a fundraiser! FHLA hosts fundraisers throughout the year. Events like "Paint with Purpose," "A Night of Pure Comedy," and local restaurant fundraisers are not only a great way to give back but a lot of fun! Buy a ticket to an event or come have dinner at a local restaurant that's partnering with us. Afterward, you guessed it - help us spread the word by posting photos online! Also, never hesitate to use our favorite hashtag when posting, #fosteringhopela
3) Volunteer in ways that require less time. Think about joining our event set up/tear down crew. Or join our Dinner Delivery Team. This team delivers meals to our hungry young adults on Monday and Wednesday evenings. It's a rotating schedule so you would only be serving a couple of times during an 8 week period! Group dinners after class are something these young people really look forward to.
4) Offer internships or employment to our program graduates! If you’re a local business owner you can definitely help by giving the gift of opportunity.
5) Come speak to our young people and help inspire them! Passionate about your career? There's a strong chance our young adults have never considered your profession as an option for them. Be a speaker at one of our Wednesday evening classes. Hearing about new opportunities brings hope to these young adults!
Brandy Wallner serves as the Administrative Assistant & Social Media Coordinator at FHLA. In her role as Social Media Coordinator she creates graphics and writes content for all of our social platforms and is a Contributing Blogger. She lives with her husband in Southern California and is passionate about sharing the Lord's goodness.